Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flickr – Great Image Resource!


I have just created a Flickr account, uploaded some photos from my holiday and made a stream on my blog. I did find this process trying and difficult to find my way around. However, after much playing around I was able to search for many different photos and found it a great resource. The image used was searched from a public “Commons” (Flickr, 2009). I loved searching through the vast amount of images on the site.

The site is used as an online photo management and sharing application. I could upload many photos online and share them with family and friends regardless of location.

During my photo exploring, I found that many images are student friendly. For my unit on wildlife, my students could search for relevant images, save them and use them for their displays. With the option of leaving notes and comments, students could post on peer images.

It could also be used as a photo share for a classroom. With parental permission, class photos could be contributed from recent works, experiments or excursions to be shared with families whenever and wherever they are.

Engagement theory tells us that the role of technology is to facilitate all aspects of engagement (Kearsley & Shneiderman, 1999). Learning managers should not simply rely on this tool for their students to be engaged in higher order thinking but for it to be used as a teaching tool. The theory then encourages that technology fosters the kind of creativity and communication needed to nourish engagement (Kearsley & Shneiderman, 1999).


Til next time,

Cheers,

Bec


Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory:. Retrieved August 15th, 2009, from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Flickr (2009). Mosaic: Retrieved August 18th, 2009, from http://www.flickr.com/photos/picturesbyann/2572204267/

No comments:

Post a Comment