Thursday, August 20, 2009

WebQuest - Can I take you deeper?


I am very interested in this WebQuest! I have never seen one before today. However, after researching…a lot, I have discovered that it is an inquiry-oriented activity in which some or all of the information that learners interact with comes from resources on the internet (Wikipedia, 2009).

Students can discover things for themselves which can take them anywhere in the world. I liked that the students can work individually or collaboratively and at their own pace. In my searching’s I discovered that you can create your WebQuest with a “hook”, as a treasure hunt or a game. I can definitely see how WebQuests are designed from the learners point of view and create higher order thinking.

I will be going full force into it as I am to build an Inquiry-based WebQuest with a significant link to sustainability for my SOSE assignment. I understand that I will build it to scaffold the learners towards answering the key question and taking an action. I am very keen in seeing it work in full swing and especially as my inquiry is aimed at a year one class. I am interested to see how effective it will be with this age group considering I will put so much time and research into it. I did think the examples from the courseware were not as engaging as I thought they would be. After experimenting with technology tools for this course, I am keen to include some of them into my WebQuest.

I can see how the three components of the Engagement Theory (Kearsley & Shneiderman, 1999) can be used with this technology tool.

Relate – The students can work in pairs or groups to find a solution to the inquiry.

Create – Students have a problem based task to work at. My year one students will find ways to protect the Australian Wildlife.

Donate – The outside focus will include the year one students hosting a mini awareness fair in the school to present their findings to their peers, staff and parents.

Stay tuned for a link and an update of how I go…


Til next time,

Cheers,

Bec



Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory:. Retrieved August 18th, 2009, from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Wikipedia. (2009). WebQuests: Retrieved August 20th, 2009, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebQuest

No comments:

Post a Comment